Rapid detection and differentiation of Flu A, Flu B, or RSV in as soon as 20 minutes.^
National guidelines for Pharyngitis recommend antibiotic therapy only for streptococcal pharyngitis.2
- The Infectious Disease Society of America further clarifies that, with the rare exception of infection by certain Corynebacterium diphtheriae and Neisseria gonorrhoeae, antimicrobial therapy is of no proven benefit as treatment for acute pharyngitis due to organisms other than Group A Streptococcus.4
To accurately diagnose pharyngitis caused by Group A Streptococcus (GAS) due to increasing incidence and prevalence globally.
- Annually, 616 million people have GAS pharyngitis, more than 18.1 million people develop severe GAS disease and more than 517,000 people die due to severe GAS disease.1
Reduce overuse of antibiotics for the treatment of pharyngitis
- Literature shows 37% of children who presented with pharyngitis tested positive for GAS, however 56% of visits were associated with antibiotic prescriptions. Similarly, 18% of adults presented with pharyngitis caused by GAS, but 72% were treated with antibiotics.2
- Cepheid provides on-demand testing for Group A Strep in as soon as 18 minutes.*
- Careful selection of the target gene produces quality results.
- Delivering accurate and timely results optimizes fast treatment decisions and eliminates the need to perform culture confirmation of negative results.
- Accurate diagnosis of GAS supports antimicrobial stewardship and may reduce the amount of patients inappropriately prescribed antibiotics.
- Gain testing efficiencies and reduce costs by eliminating culture confirmation testing.3
- Reduce the risk of GAS complications such as rheumatic fever and glomerulonephritis.
- Improve patient satisfaction with quicker time to result and appropriate prescriptions.
* Full test runtime is 24 minutes. Positive results available in as soon as 18 minutes with early assay termination
(1) The Global Burden of Group A Streptococcal Diseases. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005 Nov; 5(11):685-94.
(2) Fleming-Dutra KE, et al. Prevalence of Inappropriate Antibiotic Prescriptions Among US Ambulatory Care Visits, 2010-2011. JAMA. 2016 May 3;315(17):1864-73.;
(3) Workflow studies conducted by Cepheid Solutions demonstrate that a throat culture confirmation workup costs~ $9.13 per culture. (Average cost includes reagents, labor cost and time). Data on file.
(4) Shulman ST, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline for the Diagnosis and Management of Group A Streptococcal Pharyngitis: 2012 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Nov 15;55(10):1279-82.
Xpert® Xpress Strep A
Number of Tests: 10Catalog #: XPRSTREPA-CE-10