Qualitative real-time PCR test providing accurate detection of Group A Streptococcus in as soon as 18 minutes.
Enterovirus (EV) meningitis is very common among young children, but very difficult to differentiate from bacterial meningitis due to similar clinical presentations. As a result, patients are often admitted and treated empirically.
- EV meningitis is estimated to cause 30,000 to 50,000 hospitalizations annually in the US1
- EV meningitis is usually self-limiting and does not require antibiotic treatment2
- EV meningitis and bacterial meningitis are very difficult to differentiate by symptoms alone2
- Suspected meningitis patients are often admitted and treated empirically2
- Empirical treatment of suspected meningitis patients are costly for hospitals3,4,5
(1) Muller M, et al. What is the prevalence of coxsackievirus infection in the US? Medscape. 2018 Aug 24. Accessed May 2020. https://www.medscape.com/answers/215241-93703/what-is-the-prevalence-of-coxsackievirus-infection-in-the-us
(2) Patriquin G, et al. Clinical presentation of patients with aseptic meningitis, factors influencing treatment and hospitalization, and consequences of enterovirus cerebrospinal fluid polymerase chain reaction testing. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol. Spring 2012;23(1):e1-5.
(3) Robinson CC, et al. Impact of rapid polymerase chain reaction results on management of pediatric patients with enteroviral meningitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2002 Apr;21(4):283-6.
(4) Marshall GS, et al. Potential Cost Savings Through Rapid Diagnosis of Enteroviral Meningitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1997 Nov;16(11):1086-7.
(5) Ramers C, et al. Impact of a diagnostic cerebrospinal fluid enterovirus polymerase chain reaction test on patient management. JAMA. 2000 May 24-31;283(20):2680-5.
Fast and accurate detection of enterovirus from the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) specimen enables establishment of an effective patient management pathway.
- Fast and accurate EV result in about 2.5 hours is clinically actionable
- Physicians can confidently identify patients with EV meninigitis and manage them appropriately instead of empirical treatment
- Timely answers provide assurance to patients and their families to reduce anxiety
Number of Tests: 10Catalog #: GXEV-100N-10