Active MRSA surveillance testing in about an hour
Xpert® MRSA/SA BC
Accurate Detection of MRSA and SA in Positive Blood Culture Specimens in About an HourOrdering Info
Bloodstream infections are a major healthcare concern:
- 3.4 million individuals develop sepsis every year in the European Region, and 700,000 of these patients do not survive.1 Methicillin-resistant Staph aureus (MRSA) and Staph aureus (SA) are the causative pathogen in up to 35% of severe sepsis cases.2
- Current culture-based lab testing methods for gram positive blood culture bottles require an additional 18-48 hours for determination of MRSA or SA.
- Without timely results, clinicians often employ empiric treatments, using costly and inadequate antimicrobials that contribute to increased drug resistance.
On-demand molecular testing – an ideal solution:
- Accurate molecular detection of MRSA or SA from a gram-positive blood culture sample in about an hour
- Simple test protocol can be run on all shifts to provide results around-the-clock
- Provides clinicians actionable information when it is most needed
- Easily integrates into your hospital’s bundle of sepsis interventions
A clinical study3 showed that using the Xpert MRSA/SA BC test coupled with an infectious disease pharmacist consultation resulted in:
- Switch to optimum antimicrobial therapy 1.7 days sooner
- Mean length of stay was reduced 6.2 days
- Mean hospital costs were €15,643 less per bacteremic patient
(1) WHO. Hand Hygiene Day: It’s in your hands – prevent sepsis in health care. Accessed May 2020. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Health-systems/health-workforce/news/news/2018/5/hand-hygiene-day-its-in-your-hands-prevent-sepsis-in-health-care
(2) Annane D, et al. Septic Shock. Lancet. 2005 Jan 1-7;365(9453):63-78.
(3) Bauer KA, et al. An Antimicrobial Stewardship Program’s Impact with Rapid Polymerase Chain Reaction Methicillin-Resistant. Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Nov 1;51(9):1074-80.
Xpert® MRSA/SA BC
Number of Tests: 10Catalog #: GXMRSA/SABC-CE-10
Cepheid-Our Vision for a Better Way
Since the introduction of the SmartCycler® System in 2000, Cepheid has been at the forefront of Molecular Diagnostics innovation. In 2006, Cepheid introduced an even better way for any healthcare facility to leverage the power of molecular diagnostics. Since then, on-demand accuracy, speed, and ease-of-use have become synonymous with the platform and associated tests.