Active MRSA surveillance testing in about an hour
Xpert® MRSA/SA Blood Culture
Accurate Detection of MRSA and SA in Positive Blood Culture Specimens in About an Hour
Bloodstream infections are a major healthcare concern:
- Bloodstream infections result in approximately 1,200, 000 episodes and 157, 000 deaths annually in Europe.1
- Staphylococcus aureus (SA) and methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) continue to be leading causes of bloodstream infections, and are associated with increased patient of length of stay and hospital costs.2
- Current culture-based lab testing methods for gram positive blood culture bottles require an additional 24–72 hours for determination of SA or MRSA.
- Without timely results, clinicians often employ empiric treatments, using costly and inadequate antimicrobials that contribute to increased drug resistance and worsened patient outcomes.3
Xpert® MRSA/SA Blood Culture enables:
- Accurate molecular detection of MRSA or SA from a gram-positive blood culture sample in about an hour
- Laboratory efficiencies with on-demand workflows requiring minimal hands-on time, 24/7
- Actionable results for clinicians when it is needed most
- Optimised therapy to support improved patient outcomes and reduced empirical prescribing
Results following a clinical study using Xpert® MRSA/SA Blood Culture, versus culture, for the fast molecular detection of SA and MRSA in positive blood culture bottles demonstrated1:
- A reduction in result reporting median turnaround time of 24 hours, enabling earlier patient management review
- An improvement in appropriate antimicrobial prescribing for positive patients and an earlier discontinuing of empirical therapy for negative patients
Improved SA and MRSA management reduces inappropriate antimicrobial use, length of stay and healthcare costs.
(1) Parcel B, et al. Rapid molecular testing for Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia improves clinical management. J Med Microbiol. 2020 Mar;69(4).
(2) Tenover F, et al. Updating molecular diagnostics for detecting methicillin-susceptible and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates in blood culture bottles. J Clin Microbiol. 2019 Nov;57(11):e01195-19.
(3) Timbrook T, et al. The effect of molecular rapid diagnostic testing on clinical outcomes in bloodstream infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Jan;64(1):15-23.
Xpert® MRSA/SA Blood Culture
Number of Tests: 10Catalog #: GXMRSA/SABC-CE-10
Cepheid-Our Vision for a Better Way
Since the introduction of the SmartCycler® System in 2000, Cepheid has been at the forefront of Molecular Diagnostics innovation. In 2006, Cepheid introduced an even better way for any healthcare facility to leverage the power of molecular diagnostics. Since then, on-demand accuracy, speed, and ease-of-use have become synonymous with the platform and associated tests.