While implementing rapid MRSA surveillance testing with the GeneXpert® System, there were 138 patient care days saved and 230 more admissions, generating additional revenue of $1,150,000 during the 2007 – 2008 period.”
Director of Laboratory Services and Clinical Trials
John T. Mather Memorial Hospital
We can’t think of better words than “game changing”.
Improving patient outcomes is the primary goal of any diagnostic system. But our GeneXpert® family of systems have set a new standard in workflow flexibility, 24/7 testing accuracy, and user-friendly design — delivered in an astonishingly beautiful and compact package.
But we’ve done more than just repackage a good thing — we’ve improved on the fit, form, and function of the most popular molecular diagnostic platform on the market. GeneXpert System technology is the cornerstone of our unique approach to a molecular diagnostics product suite, which allows us to offer a complete menu of tests on a single, fully scalable, consolidated workstation.
The GeneXpert System is available in a one, two, four, 16, 48, or 80-module configuration. All have our proven GeneXpert module at their analytic heart, and use the same patented cartridge technology for every Xpert® test.
- Cepheid - The Molecular Diagnostics Leader
- Adding Institutional Value with a GeneXpert System
- Catalog #: GXXVI-16-D
- Catalog #: GXXVI-16-L
- How can I place an order?
Submit your request using our Request Information form, or call 1.888.838.3222, select option 1.
- What is the GeneXpert® System?
The GeneXpert Dx System automates and integrates sample preparation, nucleic acid amplification, and detection of the target sequence in simple or complex samples using real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR). The system is suited for in vitro diagnostic and research based applications that require hands-off processing of patient samples (specimens) and provides both summarized and detailed test results data in tabular and graphic formats. The GeneXpert system can only be used with the GeneXpert cartridge.
- What is the cartridge?
Disposable, single-use GeneXpert Dx cartridge holds the samples and reagents that you want to process in the GeneXpert Dx System. Each cartridge consists of the following components:
- Processing chambers-Hold samples, reagents, processed sample, and waste solutions. One chamber is designated as an air chamber to equilibrate pressures within the cartridge.
- Valve body-Rotates and allows fluid to move to different cartridge chambers and to the reaction tube. Within the valve body, the specimen is isolated, PCR inhibitors are removed, and specimens are ultrasonically lysed (if applicable). After the sample is processed, it is mixed with PCR reagents and moved into the integrated reaction tube.
- Reaction tube-Enables rapid thermal cycling and optical excitation and detection of the tube contents. The reaction tube is automatically inserted into the I-CORE module after the cartridge is loaded into the instrument.
- The GeneXpert cartridges are not supplied with the Cepheid. Contact Cepheid Customer Service to order the assay specific cartridges: 1-888-838-3222 Option 1
Please refer to the website for further details regarding the GeneXpert® technology.
- What dyes can be used on the GeneXpert DX system?
The GeneXpert (Diagnostic System) is calibrated with FAM, Alexa Fluor532, Texas Red, and Alexa Fluor647.
- What dyes can be used on the GeneXpert Biothreat system?
The GeneXpert (Biothreat System) is calibrated with FAM, VIC, DRox and LIZ
- What assays can I run on the GeneXpert DX System?
The GeneXpert® Dx system can run a number of assays developed by Cepheid. Please refer to the products section of our website.
- Is the GeneXpert®Dx System licensed to perform PCR?
Conveyed with the purchase of real-time thermal cycler are the licensing rights to perform the patented real-time polymerase chain reaction process on the GeneXpert® under Applera's European Patent No. EP 0 872 562, Japanese Patent No. JP 3136129 and patents pending, for all field including human in vitro diagnostics except for diagnosis and monitoring of HIV and HCV infections.
- What symbology is supported with the 2D scanner?
Codes 39 and 128 are supported.
- Can I connect a different scanner or change the configuration?
No, we can only support the components that are shipped with the system. Do not replace or reconfigure any of the components. Using non-approved components can produce invalid results, cause loss of data, or damage other system components.
- How do I archive a test?
Click on Data Management/ Archive Test and click on the test(s) you wish to archive. Click Archive and follow the defaults. When emailing an archive run, do not use a Yahoo account or a MAC computer. Also, some filters may remove the .gxx extension. If this happens, change it to anything but .txt.
- How many GX instruments can be hooked up to a computer system?
The computer can support 1 GX instrument. However, we have an Ethernet switch (Cepheid part number 800-0038) to allow up to 4 GX instruments to work with a computer system. This would allow for up to 16 samples to be run on the GeneXpert System.