Because the MTB/RIF test can detect TB better than the smear, results from one or two MTB/RIF tests can be used in the decision to remove patients from isolation.”
FDA. New data shows test can help physicians remove patients with suspected TB from isolation earlier. Press Release. 2015 Feb 12. Accessed Feb 2015. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm434226.htm
Great challenges face the global community, including the United States, with the worldwide re-emergence of TB and increased number of multi-drug resistant TB (MDR-TB) cases. The need for fast and accurate TB diagnosis with indication for the drug resistance is greater than ever.
Current MTB diagnostics methods require weeks to deliver a definitive result. Delayed results reporting can lead to patients placed in respiratory isolation unnecessarily or put on ineffective therapies. AFB smear could provide faster turn-around time, but may be missing the true positive cases and patients may continue to spread MTB to others in the community, increasing the disease burden.
Xpert MTB/RIF, on-demand molecular testing — an ideal solution:
- On-demand results that empowers physicians to manage patients effectively
- As few as one negative result can be used in the decision to remove patient from respiratory isolation
- Simultaneous detection of both MTB and rifampin resistance mutations, which are markers for MDR-TB strain
- Acceptable samples include raw or concentrated sediments prepared from induced or expectorated sputum
Impact on Patient Isolation Pathway*
* Refer to the Xpert MTB/RIF package insert for details
^ Example with one Xpert® MTB/RIF negative result
# MOTT: Mycobacteria Other Than Tuberculosis; DST: Drug Susceptibly Test
- Cepheid - The Molecular Diagnostics Leader
- Catalog #: GXMTB/RIF-US-10
Number of Tests: 10
- Catalog #: GXMTB/RIF-SPAK
Xpert MTB/RIF StartPAK
- How can I place an order?
Submit your request using our Request Information form, or call 1.888.838.3222, select option 1.