In an era of escalating antimicrobial resistance and lack of new antibiotic discovery, the most efficacious and timely method for S. aureus bacteremia detection and antibiotic therapy with de-escalation are needed. The Xpert® MRSA/SA BC test, in conjunction with an ID PharmD intervention, provides increased clinical and economic benefits.”
Infectious Disease Specialist
The Ohio State University Medical Center
Bloodstream infections are a major healthcare concern:
- 20 to 30 million patients are estimated to be afflicted by sepsis every year in the world.1 In Europe, the mortality rate in the Intensive Care Units (ICU) is 27%.2 Methicillin-resistant Staph aureus (MRSA) and Staph aureus (SA) are the causative pathogen in up to 35% of severe sepsis cases.3
- Current culture-based lab testing methods for gram positive blood culture bottles require an additional 18-48 hours for determination of MRSA or SA.
- Without timely results, clinicians often employ empiric treatments, using costly and inadequate antimicrobials that contribute to increased drug resistance.
(1) http://www.world-sepsis-day.org/; (2) Vincent, et al. on behalf of the Sepsis Occurrence in Acutely Ill Patients Investigators. Sepsis in European intensive care units: Results of the SOAP study. Crit Care Med 2006 Vol. 34, No. 2.; (3) Septic Shock; The Lancet; January 2005.
On-demand molecular testing — an ideal solution:
- Accurate molecular detection of MRSA or SA from a gram-positive blood culture sample in about an hour
- Simple test protocol can be run on all shifts to provide results around-the-clock
- Provides clinicians actionable information when it is most needed
- Easily integrates into your hospital’s bundle of sepsis interventions
A recent clinical study4 showed that using the Xpert MRSA/SA BC test coupled with an infectious disease pharmacist consultation resulted in:
- Switch to optimum antimicrobial therapy 1.7 days sooner
- Mean length of stay was reduced 6.2 days
- Mean hospital costs were €15,643 less per bacteremic patient
(4) Goff, D et al. An Antimicrobial Stewardship Program’s Impact with Rapid Polymerase Chain Reaction Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus/S. aureus Blood Culture Test in Patients with S. aureus Bacteremia. Clin.Infect. Dis. November 2010.
- Cepheid - The Molecular Diagnostics Leader
- Catalog #: GXMRSA/SA-BC-CE-10
Xpert MRSA/SA BC
Number of Tests: 10
- How can I place an order?
Submit your request using our Request Information form, or call 1.888.838.3222, select option 1.