Patients infected with C. difficile are a source of transmission to other patients, therefore, it is important that infected patients are detected as early as possible. Rapid molecular testing, providing accurate results in 47 minutes, when combined with isolation of infected patients, provides an important new weapon in our battle against healthcare-associated infections."
Director of the Center for Healthcare Associated Infections, University of Nottingham
C. difficile infections (CDI) have been increasing in incidence and severity, and are associated with an increase in length of hospital stay, costs, morbidity and mortality.1
- Highly virulent (027-NAP1-BI) strains have caused outbreaks of severe disease in Europe and North America — with mortality rates above 50%2
- Binary toxin (BT) may be important because of:
- Links to both disease severity and outcome3,4
- Strains, such as 033, are positive only for binary toxin and not toxins A and B yet have been reported to cause CDI5,6
Incremental costs associated with C. difficile infection7
(1) Zilberberg, et al. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2008:(14);6.; (2) Mundy, et al. Infection. 2007;(35):300-7.; (3) Bacci, et al. Emerg Infect Dis. Jun. 2011.; (4) Stewart, et al. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013;(17):118-25.; (5) Eckert, et al. New Microbes New Infect. 2014:(8);3:12-7.; (6) Androga, et al. J Clin Microbiol. 2015;(53):973-5.; (7) Kuijper, et al. European Society of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases, CMI. 12;(6):2-18.
Xpert C. difficile BT detects the presence of toxin-producing Clostridium difficile in 47 minutes. Detection of three targets: toxin B (tcdB), binary toxin (cdtA), and a tcdC deletion at nucleotide 117, offers presumptive identification of the 027/NAP/BI epidemic strain and an independent call-out of binary toxin results. This new solution delivers both speed and accuracy, and eliminates the need for additional testing.
CDI has become a substantive and growing burden in hospitalized patients prompting the need for earlier and accurate detection. The impact of Cepheid’s Xpert C. difficile BT test can be significant: with 47-minute detection, clinicians can now initiate therapy and appropriate infection prevention and control measures sooner, supporting better patient management.
With Xpert C. difficile BT:
- Clinicians can promptly administer therapy to support improved patient outcomes
- Timely infection control initiatives can be implemented to reduce spread of infection within an institution8
- Speed and accuracy eliminates the need for additional testing
- Identify the presence of the gene encoding binary toxin, which has been linked with increased disease severity and poorer patients outcomes
- Detect strains of C. difficile that only produce binary toxin, which may still be associated with CDI
(8) National Prevalence Study of Clostridium Difficile in U.S. Healthcare Facilities. www.apic.org.
- Cepheid - The Molecular Diagnostics Leader
- Catalog #: GXCDIFFBT-CE-10
Xpert C. difficile BT
Number of Tests: 10
- How can I place an order?
Submit your request using our Request Information form, or call 1.888.838.3222, select option 1.