The goal of interrupting chains of Ebola virus transmission depends heavily on laboratory support. This support is needed to confirm or discard suspected cases, guide triage and clinical decisions, aid contact tracing, and facilitate the early detection of cases."
World Health Organization. As reported in Ebola situation assessment. 18 Nov 2014.1
Since the first discovery of Ebola virus in 1976, Ebola virus disease (EVD) has occurred sporadically throughout West Africa.
EVD is a severe and highly contagious illness. The fatality rate can be as high as 90%. However, the survival rate can improve dramatically with implementation of early supportive care.2
The most recent Ebola outbreak has spread beyond Africa and reached Europe and the United States. The global outbreak of EVD heightens the need for a fast and accurate diagnostics.
(1) WHO. Urgently needed: rapid, sensitive, safe and simple Ebola diagnostic tests. Ebola situation assessment. 18 Nov 2014. Accessed Apr 2015. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/18-november-2014-diagnostics/en/; (2) WHO. Ebola virus disease. Fact sheet N°103. Updated Apr 2015. Accessed Apr 2015. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
Xpert Ebola delivers:
- Unprecedented sensitivity for detecting Ebola virus
- Dual target design, also found in the Cepheid’s Anthrax test*, ensures high accuracy
- Sample Reagent that reduces biohazard risk to manageable level^
- On-demand results that empowers physicians to manage crisis
- Self-contained cartridge system that minimizes potential contamination
* No false positive after 13+ million anthrax tests as of March 2015; Not for diagnostic use
^ Inactivated sample can be handled in BSL2 laboratory3
(3) WHO. Laboratory Guidance for the Diagnosis of Ebola Virus Disease. Interim Guideline. 2014 Sept 19.
Xpert Ebola will accelerate your laboratory’s workflow with on-demand, random-access flexibility. In combination with other available Xpert® tests (including Flu/RSV XC, GBS, MRSA, C. difficile, CT/NG, and MTB/RIF), Cepheid’s GeneXpert® System delivers proven productivity increases in overall laboratory service.
- Fast turn-around time – results in 98 minutes
- Ultrasensitive: can detect as few as 0.13 PFU/mL of Ebola Zaire Virus
- Simple sample processing makes the test ideal for emergency use
- Accepts whole blood (EDTA or finger-stick) or buccal swab specimens
- Cepheid - The Molecular Diagnostics Leader
- Catalog #: GXEBOLA-CE-10
Number of Tests: 10
- Catalog #: GXEBOLA-CE-50
Number of Tests: 50
- Catalog #: SWAB/E-50
Ebola Sample Collection Device
Number of Swabs: 50
- How can I place an order?
Submit your request using our Request Information form, or call 1.888.838.3222, select option 1.